Kearney’s Home Baking
Maura and Siobhan Kearney, the daughters of Michael and Daisy, completed their Leaving Certificate at Mount Trenchard Secondary School in Foynes in 1986 and 1988, respectively. They had a shared passion for home baking, and thus they pursued a comprehensive three-year Diploma in Bakery Production and Management from the Dublin Institute of Technology.
During the duration of their course, the sisters carried out comprehensive market research and test baking using their mother’s recipes. They quickly identified a significant local demand for tasty, traditional products like soda bread, scones and apple tarts.
Equipped with family expertise, determination and a love for good food, Maura and Siobhan set up their own business at the tender ages of 20 and 22. Their bakehouse was built on a Greenfield site in Ballyhahill, County Limerick surrounded by scenic countryside and an abundance of fresh air. The sisters bravely opened the bakehouse doors for business in June 1992.
Thirty years on, Maura and Siobhan employ twenty-five staff and their business continues to go from strength to strength. Their six delivery vans service shops and supermarkets from Limerick, North Kerry and North Cork on a daily basis.
The Kearneys’ Homebaking mission is to maintain the highest standards of flavour and quality using traditional processes in a clean, productive work environment. We are privileged to have access to the freshest, most natural, nutritious ingredients. We are proud of our links with Irish businesses and continue to support the local economy while remaining modern and competitive as a brand.
Customer feedback is vital to the success of our business, and we continually strive to improve and extend our product range. We aim to provide reliable and thorough service with a friendly smile.
Kearney’s Home Baking
Siobhan and Maura hold an impressive range of relevant qualifications and awards including a Diploma in Bakery Production and Management, an Advanced Food Marketing Programme, a Management Development Programme from Waterford Institute of Technology, a Certificate in Supervisory Management, Odlums’ Technology Ingredient Combination, Bolands’ Cup for Cake Decorating, Dublin Institute of Technology Special Century Award and Listowel Food Fair Home Baker Award for Fruit Scones.
We have achieved gold, silver and bronze Blas Na hEireann awards for various products from 2017 to 2022. In 2020 won the best in county award for Limerick at Blas Na hEireann. Our Gluten Free products have achieved gold and silver at the free from awards with our gluten-free scone winning one of the judge’s special awards. RSVP best in bakery award in 2020. Origin Green gold in 2021 and 2022.
Milestones & Achievements
Kindly supported by
- Fitted all LED Lighting on the premises
- Involved in an origin green 5-year plan
- Achieved gold in 2020, 2021, 2022
- Installed a 50KVA PV Panel System In April 2023
- Will be trialling an electric van in quarter one of next year in conjunction with SEAI
- Currently, recycle 100% of our waste food
- Reduced our food returns to 2.2%
- Increased Community and club sponsorships year-on year
- Set up a Gluten free manufacturing unit to manufacture gluten-free products as part of our Health and Nutrition Plan
- 88% of our ingredients are now purchased from Origin Green Suppliers
- 72% of our ingredients have sustainability certifications
- Members of Repak signed up for Repak’s plastic pledge
- Members of the EPA’S food waste charter
- Installed a state of the art wastewater treatment system (Sequential batch reactor technology) in October 2021